Friday, March 06, 2009

Epilogue to The Tempest by William Shakespeare

In a remarkably contemporary moment at the end of The Tempest, Shakespeare's wizard Prospero addresses the audience directly, breaking down the boundaries of the play. He informs them that the play is over, his powers are gone, and thus his escape from the play's island setting depends on their applause--that they, in effect, get to decide his fate.

He pulls a similar trick with Puck at the end of A Midsummer Night's Dream


Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have's mine own,
Which is most faint. Now, 'tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardoned the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell,
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands.
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free.



William Shakespeare 1564-1616

9 Comments:

Blogger disabled account said...

how could anyone leave him trapped there with that wonderful plea? i wanted to applaud for his release just sitting here reading it.

i think you should adopt some of octo-mom's kids angelina...

1:35 AM  
Blogger Rachel Luxemburg said...

Breaking the "4th wall" was not a modern innovation, it was not uncommon in Shakespeare's day.

1:18 PM  
Blogger gmoke said...

Who knew that Prospero was related to Tinkerbell?

3:27 PM  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

These words remind me of a college prof I had who was a frustrated actor. He used to stand on top of his desk and read Shakespeare in costume. He especially liked the Tempest. Lit students are cheated if they don't have at least one lunatic, frustrated thespian instructor.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite play of all time, realistic and hopeful at once, so it resonates especially in these times.

Miranda: "O brave new world that hath such people in it." Prospero: "Tis new to thee."

Thanks for bringing it to us.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've read recently, from an article by W.H. Auden, that there is some doubt on the authorship of the Epilogue, but not the rest of the play.

This is as far as Auden went; does anybody have further light to shed on this conspiracy?

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As middle school students, we need someエアジョーダン 11通販 good ways to help us keep punctual. Apart from making a plan ahead, we are supposed to be more conscious of the time such as setting down some important appointments in ourナイキ エアジョーダン 11 notebook, wearing a watch to remind us and so on. Most importantly,jordan 11 much significance should be attached to punctuality.

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The story of me is a case in point. As the best tennis player in my school, ナイキ エアジョーダン 12I took it for granted that I would surely be admitted to the school team, thinking the tryout was nothing that mattered to me. When I arrived at theナイキ エアジョーダン 14 tryout spot 20 minutes later than the appointed hour, I was told that I had been excluded due to my pride and unpunctuality.ナイキ エアジョーダン 17 How regretful I felt!

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about online education degree.

Review my page - www.pissingpussies.org

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home